Monday, October 24, 2016

Installing PIUIO Drivers for Windows


Need to install on Linux instead? Click here: http://s34nvideo.blogspot.com/2018/01/howto-install-piuio-drivers-in-linux.html




If you're building an MK6/MK9 for Pump It Up, or, OpenITG for In The Groove, or, simply a Stepmania setup... You may have opted for using a PIUIO to communicate with your arcade cabinet. If running a distribution of Linux, then installing PIUIO is a very simple task. However, if your are running Windows, you will need to build the driver yourself using Libusb.

Installing PIUIO on Windows
1. Download libusb-win32 here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/ libusb-win32 is a port of the USB library libusb-0.1 (http://sf.net/projects/libusb/) for 32/64bit Windows (2k, XP, 2003, Vista, Win7, 2008; 98SE/ME for v0.1.12.2). The library allows user space applications to access many USB device on Windows.

2. Unzip libusb-win32 and run inf-wizard.exe (This will build a Windows driver for PIUIO).

3. Connect your PIUIO to your computer via USB (The fake PCI slot on the PIUIO is merely to sit it in a desktop computer properly, it does not communicate with a PC via PCI in any way at all.). To power the PIUIO, it will need power via Molex cable. If using a laptop, then you can use an old PC ATX power supply to power the PIUIO board via the molex connector. You will need to jump a couple of pins in the ATX connector to start the power supply once it's plugged in (This acts like a power switch on a desktop computer to start the power supply! More info: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/).

4. Hit next in inf-wizard.exe. Within the list, you are looking for a USB device called EZ-USB FX2... This is the PIUIO! Select it in the list, then hit next twice. We can now build a windows driver! Choose where you want to save the driver to (The driver is an INF file).

5. You can then install the PIUIO driver via inf-wizard.exe on the last screen, or, within Device Manager.


Getting PIUIO to detect within Stepmania 5 or OpenITG
Click here to learn how to use PIUIO with Stepmania 5 / OpenITG.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished setting up my dedicab after moving, and I forgot everything from when I initially set it up a few years ago, do you think you'd be able to help me troubleshoot something?

    Basically I'm not getting any input from the pads, nor the buttons on the front of the cabinet, and I'm hoping I already found the problem. It looks like I have a molex power cable being split into two, which seems intentional, but only one is plugged into anything. One is plugged into the jamma board, and the other is just hanging loose. Should the second one be plugged into the I/o board? It's the original board that came with the dedicab, and I vaguely feel like I remember reading about how you don't want to plug a molex into the I/o board because it would fry it, but maybe that was the aftermarket boards I'm thinking of, or perhaps it doesn't apply to either and I'm thinking of something entirely different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on getting an in the groove arcade machine up and running again too. From what I read about those boards (itg-io), some of them needed to be powered and others didn't. Mine is a powered one via the jamma harness, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the usb drivers recognized inside of my linux build.

      Delete
  2. https://service.globalvr.com/downloads/ultracade/components/040-ITGIOMA-UCT_ITG-IO_User-Docv02B.pdf

    ReplyDelete